Saturday, March 8, 2014

REVIEW OF "RISE" IN ROUNDYHOUSE, ISSUE 40

In her recent review of "Rise" in Roundyhouse magazine Ellie Rees talks of the 'earthbound pleasures' of my work, commenting that the poems have a 'simplicity and stripped-down nakedness, haiku-like in their power to capture an experience, however fleeting'. 

This is not the first time I've had such a comment on my work and I very much appreciate it as I do work carefully to pare the poems down to precisely the nucleus of a moment and no more. Of course it doesn't always work! And also I don't treat all my poems in such a way; it depends what the subject matter is. But where it is a matter of writing about harrowing issues like undergoing treatment for cance/ rape/ illness/ grief I do focus really hard on trying to achieve this spareness of language

.In "Rise" I have branched out into other fields than the cancer experience and observation of wildlife which is my other major focus; I have written a good deal about the habits of people whom I've observed, whether it's the child Nuala , or the inhabitants of the fictional Almond St,  and I was pleased to read Ellie's closing comments on the collection, saying saying that 'McEvoy's keen eye delights in the variety and eccentricity of everyday life'. I do indeed!

Her review makes a total now of three reviews of "Rise" so far: James Naiden reviewed it on  ink sweat and tears, and Matt Merritt gave it a very enthusiastic review on his blog polyolbion. I am very grateful to all three, and glad too that my publisher Jan Fortune is very active in sending out copies for review. I have heard from some poets that there are some poetry presses that don't do this. I have no idea if reviews help to sell copies of a book or not but at least they bring a book to people's attention and when they are generous, well-informed reviews, as these have been, it makes the writer feel appreciated and understood. Which is worth an enormous amount!

No comments:

Post a Comment